Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Checking out library books on the cloud, via my Kindle

I got an Amazon Kindle about a week ago, specifically for our move to Geneva. It was the cheapo $114 special, with only wifi and no 3G. But for me, it's absolutely awesome. When I got it out of the box, the first thing I thought was - wow, this is so incredibly light! It really is quite a bit lighter than a regular paperback. And the next thing was - how do I get this sticker off the screen? I finally figured out that - there wasn't a sticker on the screen, that's the screen! It doesn't look like other screens, because it's not backlit.

Then I started downloading books to it - mainly public domain books from the Amazon website. I had heard that the King County Library System (KCLS) was going to have books available sometime in 2011. That was really the motivation to buy a Kindle right now.

This morning I read in the Seattle Times that the library system is up and running with Kindle books. No sooner had I read that, than I tried it out, and voila - I'm the proud borrower of 8 ebooks on the Kindle! The first one I'm reading is Red Azalea by Anchee Min. So far it's great. The reading experience on the Kindle in general is just superb. I hadn't realized what a pain in the rear it is to actually turn pages in books, and hold them open. Seriously! It's so much more convenient to just read on a Kindle, you can move around much more easily, one tiny little click to turn the page. When I have a choice, I'm definitely going to be using the Kindle instead of paper books. This will be so handy when we're overseas

No comments: